In a story that confirms the importance of learning CPR, a father is hopeful to raise awareness about the need to know CPR since saving the life of his daughter. He is also hoping to warn parents about the danger of leaving a child in a bathtub, unattended.
Jason Board learned CPR through courses offered at his work a few years ago. He put his skills to work Monday when his two-year-old daughter Joanna nearly drowned while having a bubble bath with her older sister.
Board stepped out of the bathroom in his North York condo for a minute until his older daughter alerted him that Joanna had slipped under the water.
“I heard her say, ‘Joanna wake up’,” he told CTV Toronto on Wednesday. “I spun around realizing something may be wrong and found her in about four inches of water.”
She was rushed to North York General Hospital where she was stabilized.
“She’s perfect and brilliant and when she woke up she asked about her little brother Alex,” he said.
Board said he learned a valuable lesson during the ordeal. He said every parent should learn CPR.
“Whether they’re in a bathtub or hit their head, you should always have some First Aid principles to help you respond,” he said. “It saved her life.”