Recently we’ve been hard at work on a new Pet First Aid course for the UK. There seems to have been an outbreak of dogs getting CPR done on them, and this story is no different.
When firefighter Tammy Rodriguez was greeted by the rambunctious, brown and white pitbull in the Engine 57 station house Friday night, she couldn’t believe her eyes.
“Oh my gosh, are you kidding me?” she said.
Just hours earlier, Rodriguez went to work on the lifeless dog as her colleagues finished putting out the fire in the 1800 block of North Honoree Street.
Firefighter Terry Reilley said the fire “pretty much destroyed” the second and third floors of two buildings.
“And I would imagine water damage probably ruined the first floor of each,” he said.
During her efforts, Rodriguez went through two tanks of oxygen, fed through a mask fitted for animals, and performed cardiopulmonary resuscitation on the animal.
“For a while, there, it wasn’t reacting, but I think just the positive pressure of oxygen made it start breathing, which was exciting. And then we just kept working her and all of a sudden she just opened her eyes… and then she got up,” recalled Rodriguez.