When I was at the dentist, I heard an amazing story that I somehow missed over the weekend about a rescue at a football game. He was at the game between Michigan and Notre Dame when he suffered a heart attack during the second quarter, while at Michigan Stadium. He was visiting Ann Arbor with his three sons, who are aged 45, 48 and 50. My dentist knows of the sons.
Lee Staudacher, a 69-year-old from Bay City, Michigan, was enjoying the game when his heart suddenly stopped. There was a dentist nearby that started CPR while others contacted emergency services. The CPR was prompt, increasing his chances of survival greatly, and there was an on-site AED (Automated External Defibrillator) that was also put to use.
His family stayed nearby and watched while they shocked him with the paddles, and the prompt CPR was a key component in saving his life. The medical team took him to the University of Michigan Health System’s Cardiovascular Center for treatment. He didn’t miss the end of the game, as he was able to watch part of the fourth quarter while in an intensive care unit bed.
He’s a Notre Dame fan, but had a great time watching the game between these two old rivals, even though Michigan pulled off a 35-31 victory. He wants to put the focus on the knowledge of CPR and the quick access of the AED that saved his life, however.
In a situation that could have ended in tragedy, a two year old’s life was saved. A ten year old girl named Annie, who has Downs Syndrome, recognized that the two year old child was in trouble, having fallen into the pool, and told twelve year old Sophia. Sophia alerted her grandmother Lianne who jumped in and rescued the child using CPR.
“I put him on the ground, and I began CPR. And then he began to gurgle. And when he finally began to gurgle, I rolled him over, tried to get the water out of his lungs,” Lianne Azevedo said. The EMT’s praised Lianne for her fast action that saved the little boy’s life. Little Brady Dones was awake and alert when he went to the hospital, and he’s expected to be okay.
In another story that should prove to be a good reason for anyone to learn CPR, a man from Lowell, Michigan recently learned CPR and only eleven days after his class he was forced to use it in a real-life situation – on his son. Logan, 4, was over at a neighbors, and fell out of his tube into the pool. He was underwater for about a minute before being scooped out of the pool by a nearby adult. His father heard a scream and Logan’s name, and that’s all he needed to hear before he sprang into action to save his son.
A man from Oklahoma has rescued a puppy with CPR. This is a trend that seems to be growing as more and more people are taking to doing CPR to rescue their pets.
Chester is a twelve week old puppy, and his owner found him under the water in his pool – not moving. He ran to the pool, got Chester out and began CPR, administering mouth to snout rescue breaths and some chest compressions. They managed to bring him back, and took him to the vet where he spent a night in the ER. He came home the next day as good as new.
Recently we’ve been hard at work on a new Pet First Aid course for the UK. There seems to have been an outbreak of dogs getting CPR done on them, and this story is no different.
When firefighter Tammy Rodriguez was greeted by the rambunctious, brown and white pitbull in the Engine 57 station house Friday night, she couldn’t believe her eyes.
“Oh my gosh, are you kidding me?” she said.
Just hours earlier, Rodriguez went to work on the lifeless dog as her colleagues finished putting out the fire in the 1800 block of North Honoree Street.
Firefighter Terry Reilley said the fire “pretty much destroyed” the second and third floors of two buildings.
“And I would imagine water damage probably ruined the first floor of each,” he said.
During her efforts, Rodriguez went through two tanks of oxygen, fed through a mask fitted for animals, and performed cardiopulmonary resuscitation on the animal.
“For a while, there, it wasn’t reacting, but I think just the positive pressure of oxygen made it start breathing, which was exciting. And then we just kept working her and all of a sudden she just opened her eyes… and then she got up,” recalled Rodriguez.
Pet CPR is becoming more popular these days. Recently the life of a dog was saved by the simple knowledge of CPR. The dog was drowning in floodwaters, and that is where the story starts.
A Kuranda woman jumped into floodwaters to rescue a drowning dog then gave it mouth-to-mouth resuscitation to bring it back to life. Petra Lovey yesterday told how she jumped into the Barron River after seeing Jerzy the border collie-cross dive into the swollen waters and get swept under a bridge.
“The last thing I saw were her eyes looking at me as she was swept under the old wooden bridge,” Ms Lovey said. “The Barron River flows like a torrent so it didn’t take much for her to be sucked under the bridge.”
I just had lunch at a place called Firehouse Subs. Not only was it a very great meal, but it was likely one of the best subs that I’ve had in a long time. Every cup that they give you has a rescue story from firefighters, as well as a picture of the firefighters that were involved in the story. Plus, they’ve founded the Firehouse Subs Public Safety Foundation, which has donated over $2 million in equipment and resources to firehouses around the country.
Not only that, but October is Fire Safety Month, so be sure to check the batteries in your fire alarms.
Lightning strikes are a dangerous thing, and in the United States there are about 100 deaths per year. That doesn’t seem like a lot, but every life is precious. Anything that we can do to help save a life that might otherwise be lost is a good thing.
The first piece of lightning safety has to do with making sure you’re in a safe location when a storm comes in. If you’re at an outdoor event, someone will likely have a safety plan, but you can also plan ahead by locating the nearest safe structures or locations. Buildings that are normally occupied by or frequently used by people, that have plumbing and wiring to act as a ground. You can also seek shelter in a car with a hard metal top and the windows all rolled up. Not convertibles or golf carts. And remember: do not touch the sides of the vehicle.
A girl remembered a lesson that she learned from an episode of SpongeBob SquarePants and rescued her friend, who had begun choking on her gum. This is yet another case of video training pulling through, even though it was not intended to be a training video for the heimlich maneuver. In fact, Nickelodeon cannot find an episode during which the Heimlich maneuver is performed. Here’s the story.
Miriam, a Long Beach Middle School seventh-grader, and her “BFF,” Allyson Golden, had just finished rehearsing the “West Side Story” classic, “I Feel Pretty,” for an upcoming choral competition when their teacher cracked a joke that had the 12-year-olds erupting in laughter.