Carbon Monoxide Safety Tips

In Carbon Monoxide by Paul Martin2 Comments

Carbon Monoxide WarningCarbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas that can lead to serious illness or death if inhaled in significant amounts.

Potential sources include: unvented kerosene and gas space heaters, furnaces, wood stoves, gas stoves, fireplaces and water heaters, and automobile exhaust.

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning could include tiredness, headache, confusion, nausea and dizziness.

The National Safety Council offers these suggestions to help protect you and your loved ones from carbon monoxide poisoning:

  • Make sure that every appliance in your home is installed properly and is working correctly.
  • Have your furnace, chimneys and flues inspected and cleaned each year.
  • If using a fireplace, make sure the flue is open.
  • Never heat your home with a gas range or oven.
  • Be sure that your stove and furnace vent outdoors and there are no leaks in the exhaust systems. Also make sure that your furnace takes in enough fresh air.
  • Never burn charcoal indoors or in any enclosed space, such as in a camper or R.V.
  • Never leave a gas-fueled tool or vehicle running inside a garage or tool shed, or anywhere indoors.
  • Never use kerosene or gas heaters indoors.

-via Yahoo Health

Paul Martin

Paul Martin

I am the Director of Multimedia at ProTrainings, as well as the primary blogger here. I take care of the video editing, graphic design and corporate branding that you see on every video and every page on this site, as well as at ProCPR®, ProFirstAid®, ProBloodborne, StudentCPR, etc. My work is literally everywhere that ProTrainings goes. I also handle our Twitter accounts, so be sure to follow us there, if you use twitter! You can be sure that I’m not just an average joe writing this blog, but one of the founders of the company.

More Posts - Website

Follow Me:
TwitterFacebookLinkedInGoogle Plus

Comments

  1. Stephanie Geery-Zink

    I do public relations for Briggs & Stratton, the leading manufacturer of generators. I send out the following portable generator safety tips ahead of hurricanes and during winter storm power outages so people don’t improperly use their generators. This includes the potential risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.

    Portable Generator Safety Tips

    1. Always read and follow the operator’s manual and all operating instructions before running generator.

    2. Engines emit deadly carbon monoxide gas. Use your generator outdoors only, away from open windows, vents, or doors. Never use your generator inside homes, garages, crawl spaces, or other enclosed areas. Fumes that can kill you can build up in these areas. Using a fan and opening doors or windows does NOT provide enough fresh air.

    3. Use a battery-powered carbon monoxide detector when running your generator.

    4. Gasoline and its vapors are extremely flammable, allow engine to cool at least 2 minutes before refueling. Always use fresh gas in your generator. If you do not plan to use your generator in 30 days, stabilize the gas with fuel stabilizer.

    5. Maintain your generator according to the maintenance schedule for peak performance and safety.

    6. Keep generator at least 5 feet away from any structures or combustible materials. Reflective exhaust heat can damage fuel tank causing fire.

    7. When using extension cords, be sure they are of the grounded type and are rated for the application. Coiled cords can get HOT, always uncoil cords and lay them in flat open locations.

    8. If you are connecting a generator into your home electrical system, have a qualified electrician install a Power Transfer Switch. Never plug your generator directly into your home outlet.

    9. Protect your generator from exposure to rain and snow. Generators produce powerful voltage; DO NOT operate under wet conditions.

  2. mukund lal

    i mukund comes in knowledge for carbon monoxide from above article what is corbon monoxide and what is potential source of carbon monoxide and it’s hazards.

Leave a Reply