It seems like this sort of thing happens more and more. The last time that something like this happened, that we reported, was with Spongebob Squarepants. This time, it was Sesame Street, an educational show that’s been running now for 44 years.
William Ruhno and Derek Almeida were on the playground during recess Wednesday when Derek started choking. “He was eating the pretzel and he swallowed it, and then all of a sudden he was just coughing and coughing,” says William. “He was trying to get it out, so I knew.” Seven-year-old William learned how to do the Heimlich Maneuver from watching Sesame Street. “I put my arms around him and I did a fist with my hand over it and I just [pulled].” The second time he tried, it worked, and the pretzel that his friend was choking on popped out.
William’s mother was on the playground and witnessed her son’s heroic act without realizing what was going on. “I was proud of him for knowing how to do it,” says Debbie Ruhno. “And just shocked that he actually did it.”
Derek’s mother bought William some toy Hot Wheels cars as a token of her appreciation. “I appreciate what he did to save my life,” says Derek. “And he’s one of my best buddies.”
When a child can learn from a video that he saw years ago, how to do something like the Heimlich Maneuver, it says a lot for what else we can learn from video.
Photo Credit: News 12 New Jersey